Defending Your Life

There is an old Albert Brooks movie where he faces the music on judgement day.

It’s a pretty funny one - I think it was called ‘Defending Your Life’.

In any regard, Brooks is shown clips of him living...

...and he has to explain why he did what he did.

Most of us wouldn’t want to be in such a position...

...and when you’re being questioned by someone trained to twist words?

Let’s just all hope that’s not how we learn our heaven-hell fate.

I’ve been on the witness stand for court cases for my job. I’ve also made a lot of speeches, so I don’t get nervous...

...but I was thinking about Kavanaugh and the senate questions.

And now we have the thorough examination of his high school and college days.

We drank beer, and played music, and looked for dates.

In fact, acting a bit like an idiot went on for awhile.

Our lives weren’t captured on cell phones and blog posts like they are now...

...but if God has the video tape???

Most people can say that the good outweighed the bad...

...but we all had that teacher who preferred to NOT grade on the curve.

I’m hoping there’s a bit of a curve.

“What if we only get so many beers?” I said to a guy sitting next to me on a plane as he enjoyed a beer.

He looked at me quizzically.

“Yeah, God judges you by how many beers you had. One too many and you go to hell.”

“What are you talking about?” He asked.

“That beer,” I said, pointing, “might be the one that sends you to hell.”

He laughed.

“You’re an idiot,” he said. “Now I can’t even enjoy it!”

But what if there is a strict number on certain things:

How many times you cursed?

Or said something mean?

Or disrespected women, dogs or children?

Albert Brooks was horrified when he realized that someone had been keeping count.

How about you?

I’m still hoping there’s a slight curve.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie