Going Way Back

My beautiful wife and I had a long drive to Syracuse and back.

The drive back didn’t amount to much as she slept for 2+ hours, but on the way there, Bob Seger’s ‘Against the Wind’ (a tremendous song)...

...got us talking about our childhoods.

Seger played the Aud on back-to-back nights in 1980.

“Did you go?” Kathy asked.

“No!”

I answered a little too fast and a little too loudly.

“I did. I take it that you were pissed.”

“I was. I wanted to go. All the good-looking girls went. I wasn’t allowed. Mom said ‘No.’

Somehow we went from my first concert (Stones at Rich Stadium) to the first time that we figured out what men-women relationships were all about.

(She was 14. I still haven’t figured it out).

Kathy said that she was about 14 when a girlfriend started talking about sex.

“I was blown away,” she said. “Was pretty sure it was the most gross thing I’d ever heard.”

I recalled talking about the subject at the Lions campsite. My tutor was an old friend. I mentioned his name and that I too was pretty mystified.

“He’s a good-looking guy,” Kathy said.

(I laughed. She’s met him twice).

“Every girl I ever knew thought that. Me? On the other hand, I was a mess. I liked one girl at a time. Couldn’t fathom how to juggle feelings for more than one.”

Kathy did have a question though.

“How did guys know which girl would do stuff?”

“How the hell do I know?” I asked. “None were doing stuff for me.”

“No, you know what I mean. Some guys wouldn’t date girls who had the rep for being goody-goody. They always went for the sure things.”

“We didn’t have many sure things in North Collins,” I said, but I didn’t know.

I was clueless.

“It’s a confusing time,” I said. “You’re a kid and you want to try and grow up. Everyone is judging you, and you want to act tough.”

“It’s worse for a girl,” Kathy said.

And I imagine that it is.

Boys making up stories. Other girls being bitchy.

I’ve still never seen Seger perform live.

“Can’t believe it was 38 years ago,” I said.

“Wish I didn’t know now what I didn’t know then,” Seger sings.

Indeed.

“There was a whole lot I didn’t know then,” I said.

But it was a lot of fun reminiscing.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie