Shot to Death

Botham Jean was a 26-year-old, black man.

He was sitting in his apartment on the 4th floor of his apartment complex.

Amber Guyger (according to her recounting of the events) thought she was heading to her apartment. She claims that she saw the door ajar and a figure inside. She claims she tried to command the man out of the apartment, but he did not respond.

So she shot him.

Dead.

Guyger is a cop. She was off-duty. When she turned in the light and called 9-1-1 she realized that she wasn’t in her own apartment.

It seemingly struck her that she’d killed her upstairs neighbor.

(Now witnesses are telling a different story, saying that they heard her knocking on the door and yelling to be let in before the fatal shots).

In any regard, Jean is dead.

For no good reason.

When I read the story all I kept thinking was:

There’s too many damn guns!

I don’t know the stats, but seems to me that there are way too many of these stories.

I was driving the other day and the guy in front of me was going 63 in a 65. He was also in the left lane, and was hesitant to move over.

“Come on!”

I laid on the horn.

He gave me the finger.

That pissed me off.

Then I thought:

“Damn, he might shoot me.”

He could, you know!

That’s how conflicts are resolved here in America in the 21st century.

Guyger is going to go on trial in Dallas, Texas. She’s up on manslaughter charges...

...Jean was a black man...

...sitting in his own place.

I’m betting she gets off.

That saddens me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie