A Fickle F****ng Game

I made a conscious decision this year to do whatever I could possibly do to swing a golf club as often as I could in 2018.

It hasn’t been easy and I still haven’t played as much as I’d like, or used to.

Spinal decompression, cortisone shots, stretching before and after, ice and rest after.

Not to mention my beautiful wife saying:

“Maybe you shouldn’t.”

But I have really sucked it up because I’m mentally better on the weeks when I play. We’ve had a pretty consistent group too. All of us who’ve played okay. We aren’t great, but we are close score wise.

We all have bad habits, and we all occasionally hit great shots.

One of my favorite memories of this year happened last week when all four of us made par on a pretty long par 5. We exchanged high-fives on the green when Pops sank the long putt to make it 4 for 4.

This week 2 golfers from another foursome were watching me aim for the green from about 140 out. It was a perfect golf shot, and I was just 8’ from the pin when the ball landed (missed the birdie putt, got the par).

And there’s been bad days and horrible shots.

“Bah! It’s a fickle f*** game!” Being called out all across the fairway.

My back would ache and I wouldn’t stay down...

...but I shot under 90 a half a dozen times this year.

I hadn’t done that since about 2005.

I watched Pops Eagle one.

I birdied a few.

I was within 5’ for an ace. (Missed the birdie putt).

All in all, I’ve swung it well.

I know I annoy my partners because I stay in the middle of the fairway most of the time. That makes the game easier, but I’m telling you:

My brother-in-law hasn’t picked up a club in a year.

He made a par on the first hole...

...he shot a 7 on the par 3 on the 2nd hole.

By 14 he said what we all say at least once a round:

“I hate this f***ing game!”

I must admit that I have enjoyed this summer more than any of the previous 15...

...and that’s cause I had a tee time.

Pain be damned!

The sun shined, conversations were easy:

“You see my ball?”

And I stayed in the middle.

Just sad it’s getting colder.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie