Labor Day

My kids have heard the rants.

I got my first job at 14, back in 1978. Picking strawberries and planting tomatoes.

I’ve been gainfully employed pretty much every day possible since.

A stretch in a grocery store, years as a union laborer, taught creative writing, wrote for a magazine, a couple of months as a telemarketer (horrible job, but met a few gals), writer, Safety director, Safety consultant.

I’m proud of the fact that I graduated from college in 1986 and have worked every day since.

And I still live by my Dad’s advice:

“If someone gives you a job to do, do more than they expect.”

I have skipped vacations for years in an effort to get the job done. I battle.

And man, I’m not alone!!

Millions of Americans bust it every single day!

My best friends (and my beautiful wife and adoring kids) are in the same boat.

Get up and get after it!!

And today is Labor Day.

An extra day of rest.

We’ve heard a whole lot of negativity in recent years about free-loaders. I’ve always been way less concerned about those at the bottom of the totem pole.

I’ve seen men covered in concrete dust, sweating, tired and sore at ten bucks an hour.

Those are the guys we shame ourselves to look at..

...while some make $5,000 bucks an hour...

...and avoid paying taxes...

...are revered.

But I regress.

Dad’s advice was the best and it’s served me well.

Today, I rest.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie