Under the Weather

Poor Melky.

She’s 12-years old.

She thinks she’s 3.

We finally saw a little sun, and got a break from the low temperatures. I went outside to look at how much garbage we have in the garage, and the dogs followed me out and were ha going in the back yard.

An hour later, Melky couldn’t raise her head.

She struggled all afternoon and evening, and I decided to let her stay downstairs instead of making her head to bed.

“Keep an eye on her,” I told Sam. “If she wants to try and come up, let me know, I’ll come help you.”

Twenty minutes later, Melky was in my bed.

She couldn’t handle not sleeping near me.

By 4 a.m., she was crying.

I knew she had to go out.

Neither of us was capable of me lugging her down 20 steps.

I felt pretty helpless.

Life wears you down. I imagined her running through the yard, trying to dig her way under the fence, chasing a squirrel.

Time took those things away from her.

“What are we going to do, buddy?” I asked.

She picked her head up.

Over the next half hour, she made it down the steps, made her way around the back yard, and then made it all the way back to bed.

She spent the rest of the day resting.

“She gets tired,” the vet said.

Don’t we all?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie