The Bad Winner

Tonight’s game is for all the bragging.

I have Villanova, who is favored by 7 points, to beat Michigan in the title game.

My bracket will land in the first slot, out of 126 entries.

There are some people out there who believe that I may use the winning to agitate.

“I get so tired of being right all the time,” I said, to my beautiful wife as we watched ‘Nova hammer Kansas.

“You picked the favorite,” she said. “It was the easy choice.”

“It was the right choice!” I said.

“I took a chance with Xavier,” she said. “That took more guts.”

“Makes zero sense,” I mentioned. “I get tired of being right.”

“Shut-up.”

There was a whole lot more than went into it, though. Sam loves Villanova. He was watching the game in the car on his way to see his cousins.

He went from “I’m a little nervous,” to “I’m so happy right now.”

I like when my children are happy.

Also, one of their friends, Ben, is a big Kansas fan.

“I’ll bet you a thousand dollars that Kansas wins,” he said.

“I’m not betting a thousand dollars,” I said.

He made a point of showing me that he had enough money to place the bet.

“I got a grand,” he said.

“I don’t,” I answered. “We’ll bet dinner at the Asian buffet.”

As the second half wound down I texted him photos of egg rolls.

“Heard from Ben?” I asked Jake on Sunday morning.

“He’s not interested in speaking with you,” Jake answered.

So, here we are.

One game for all the marbles.

“I hate the Big Ten,” Pops said. “Now I have to root for them?”

“Why would you root against me?” I asked.

“‘Cause you got a big mouth.”

Read ‘em and weep, folks.

‘Nova closes it out and you may here from me.

If they don’t...

...leave me alone.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie