May Day! May Day! May Day!

First of all, I can't believe that 1993 was 25-years ago.

Doesn't it seem like it was about twenty minutes ago?

Ah well, I suppose that's how life goes...

...but I was reading a recap of a Buffalo Sabres playoff matchup against the Bruins from 1993 and it was one of those moments.

(First off, that year, I went out with a buddy of mine and we would up drinking beers with Brad May. I actually didn't even realize it was Brad May until I introduced him to JC. He said, "Hey, Fuzzy, I'm not Barnaby, I'm Brad May!")

Kind of funny.

Anywhoha...

A couple of months later, it was Sabres-Bruins and the Bruins were heavily favored in the first round.

Buffalo won the first three games, however, and when Boston jumped out to a lead in Game 4...there was doubt creeping in.

But Lafontaine and Mogilny were on that team and they struck fast. It was 5 to 5, and it was getting late.

I was thinking about going to bed.

And this is where time plays a trick...

...I recall everything about the night.

May, who wasn't a goal-scorer, made a weird move. He kissed the blade of his stick before a face-off in the Buffalo end. Patty hit him with a long pass, and May went in, decked a hall-of-famer, Ray Borque, and then undressed the goalie.

MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY!

The Sabres great announcer, Rick Jennaret screamed it five times.

I was living alone at the time in my rat's-nest apartment (as my brother affectionately called it) and the guy who lived above me started beating on the floor.

I stepped out into the hallway and people were cheering.

"We might actually win the cup!" I yelled up the stairs.

"Come and have a beer," the guy yelled down.

I didn't go. Had to get up for work.

The Sabres got swept out of the playoffs in the next round.

Brad May got dealt.

Patty got a concussion.

Hockey got eternally boring to me.

And 25 years passed.

Marriage, kids, dogs, laughter, sadness, got old.

All in a blink of an eye.

MAY DAY!
MAY DAY!
MAY DAY!
MAY DAY!
MAY DAY!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie