Feeling Writerish

It started with a message from my Aunt Cheryl on Friday night:

“Read The Big D! I couldn’t put it down. Read it straight through. It was great!”

What an awesome way to start my weekend.

Then I thought about Mark Knopfler and some Mellencamp lyrics.

Kathy was watching Chicago Fire and the story wasn’t grabbing me...

...thought of Grapes of Wrath...the Tom Joad speech to his Mom.

“Whenever a cop is beating a guy. Whenever you hear a new born baby cry. When there’s hatred in the air...look for me and I’ll be there...fighting for what’s right.”

I went back to my current story...

...with a new story curling the corners of my mind.

I mentioned to my Aunt that I had the entire story of The Big D in mind by the time I finished a three-hour drive.

The entire book came to me in moments of clarity.

The mood doesn’t always grab you as you live your life, but when it does...

...it’s better than everything else I’ve felt in all my days.

“I have to write my thesis,” Sam said. “Why do you like writing? It’s awful!”

I couldn’t possibly explain it to him, but he told me his idea and then asked me how long it would take me to write ten pages on the subject.

“15 minutes,” I said.

He laughed.

“Try it?” He said.

“I’m not doing your thesis,” I said.

But I have to admit...

...I WANTED to do it!!

I would’ve loved to write it.

“How long are your books?” He asked.

“Sixty to eighty thousand words,” I said. “I try to cut it down most of the time.”

He laughed again.

“Why???” He asked.

I wound up showing him Aunt Cheryl’s message.

“That’s why,” I said.

To right the wrongs!

To bring some balance!!

To gain control!!!

On Saturday and Sunday mornings, after working really hard this week, I wrote a few thousand words...

...to relax!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie