The Truth

I’ve been paying too much attention to politics, I guess.

I have also had too many conversations with people who are supposed to be professionals...

...professionals in jobs that are considered honorable...

And I’ve seen way too many people playing games with the truth.

“Would you teach your children to tell the truth?” John Mellencamp sings in the chorus of one of his songs.

“There have been extensive talks with North Korea about full denuclearization,” Sarah Huckabee Sanders said on Monday.

She had to swear to that because over the weekend her boss tweeted it out.

“That can’t be classified as anything other than a lie,” one of the talking heads said immediately after that.

Don’t hold your breath on waiting for it to be retracted.

I’ve had a number of conversations lately...

...work-related...

...with members of the justice system.

The report I wrote was more than 10 years ago. I was deposed for my testimony more than 5 years ago.

Now, I may have to remember every second of it, and promise to tell the truth, as well as I can recall it, as experts on the other side, who have received payment to disprove my words, try and trip me up somehow.

A crazy game to hide the truth, rather than find it.

It drives me crazy.

I’m worn out.

I hate liars and the lies they tell.

I can’t stand hearing blatant lies being discussed as anything other than a lie.

We’ve even become interested in finding other ways to say it.

“Fake news.”

“Alternative facts.”

It’s disturbing.

The other day I was reading direct quotes about an NBA player who hadn’t been playing much. The story showed direct quotes from the player about the reason why he didn’t care to play anymore.

Supposedly it was because he disagreed with his head coaches politics.

I mentioned it to Jake.

“That’s not a real story,” Jake said.

He didn’t even blink.

“Believe half of what you hear, and less of what you see,” Springsteen sings in ‘Magic.’

I’m teaching my children to tell the truth.

By the time they have children of their own...

...they may be the only ones who are still honest.

God, I hate liars!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie