Travels With Kathy

With apologies to Steinbeck...

...who did "Travels with Charley."

Which was about moving around with his dog.

We started the trip by my asking her which nickname she'd like for our travels. She went with Kathy Khaos, with a K.

So, off we went.

We rented a car that had a backup screen. Kathy liked that as I drove.

"Slow down!"

"That guy is merging!"

"Oh-oh-oh!!"

I finally let her drive just so the person in the passenger seat would sit quietly.

She was backing out of a parking spot.

We heard a sound.

"What's that?" She asked.

I was pointing at the screen.

"Oh, I forgot about that! Why is there a pole there?"

"It's the pole's fault," I said.

The frustration of traveling with someone else is that "he who travels fastest, travels alone", but we were on a semi-vacation. I'd try and relax.

"Can we be ready by 1:00?" I'd ask...

...at least 4 hours early.

"I'm ready!" She'd announce, excitedly, at 1:15. "That's good, right?"

"Yeah," I answered. "I've only wanted to gnaw my arm off for 15 minutes."

Yet, it's me as well.

"We aren't trying to ruin your life by living ours in a somewhat slower fashion," she explained. "We actually don't give ANY thought to what might be irritating you at any given moment."

I laughed.

That's probably true.

We sat down at a diner for breakfast.

"Let me guess," I said. "Eggs, scrambled dry. Bacon, crisp. Rye toast."

She then knew my exact order.

It's been a long while.

"Are you going to miss me?" I asked as our plane landed in Buffalo and we realized that we'd be apart for long stretches the next day.

"Not at all," she said. "I've had enough."

Which is good too.

"You're free to go back to your insane world of deadlines set in your own head, and I can relax a little."

"Ahh," I said. "Well, I'll miss you!"

"Get away from me," she said, with a laugh.

Twenty-some years.

Traveling together through all kinds of crap.

We usually get there together...

...give or take 15 minutes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie