So Pretty

When I stopped by the Maid-Rite store in Ankeny, Iowa to get my Loose Meat sandwiches for lunch I was greeted by a bit of a line.

I was fourth in line behind an elderly couple, and a young woman, about 20-25 years old.

The woman turned around and smiled, for some reason. and my first thought was:

"Holy shit, she's pretty!"

(Of course she's no Kathy Fazzolari...but still).

I actually wondered if she was an actress.

After I thought about it for a little while I figured out that she reminded me of Jennifer Beals at Flash Dance age.

When she got to the front of the counter the young guy behind the counter was on his best behavior. He actually got a little giddy as he took the woman's order.

Now I'm not talking out of school here...

...my wife is very good at evaluating when another woman is pretty. We were once on a Subway in New York City when a stunning woman passed by.

I got busted looking and turned to stutter a response to Kathy...she said:

"I looked too."

And that's what happens to people who are that attractive. They get extra looks, more smiles, and extra attention.

(Believe me, I know).

The woman at the Maid-Rite grabbed her number (they hand you a plastic card to put on your table) and she went over and sat down.

The guy who was now supposed to be taking my order was still looking at the woman.

I cleared my throat.

"Sorry, dude," he said.

"No problem," I said, with a smile.

And it wasn't that we were objectifying the poor woman.

She was just plain pretty!

As I left the place with my loose meat sandwiches in hand I thought a little bit about the Jennifer Beals look-alike...

...was her life actually easier because of how she looked...

...or was it a burden of sorts.

There was a study done a few years back that said that attractive people certainly have advantages at work, at school, and everywhere else.

The woman's food was delivered and she headed for the door. I purposely watched every single head in the place turn to watch her leave.

It's interesting to me.

And of course, beauty is only skin deep, right?

"Man," the kid said to me, "She's really pretty."

I laughed.

"I didn't notice," I said.

Then he laughed.

Comments

John said…
My father once said, "a beautiful girl is like a sunset, you have to appreciate it." I know we don't always objectify, we just admire the beauty in nature all around us. Just seem more special when it's a pretty girl.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie