Missing Conversations

I was shaken by the news of the death of Miami Marlins pitcher Jose Fernandez.

I'd just been talking with Pops about how the Yankees had enough in prospects to go and get him in a trade. He was a talented pitcher.

He was also just a young man.

He lost his life after just twenty-four years.

Tragic.

And the news of his death came less than an hour after I had said 'Good morning' to the photo of my brother that hangs in our finished basement.

I did the sign of the cross and said, "Bruce's book comes out on Tuesday.'

I did this because I knew that I was going to really miss the conversations that we would have about it.

(Jeff loved Bruce more than me if you can believe that!).

But deep down, I've learned to know that some of that is all right because I am still very in tune to what he would think about any situation.

And that's where this becomes a little more positive.

Because I realize that a lot of what Jeff's life generated is still here for the taking.

The tremendous love.

The laughter still ringing in my ears.

The important conversations that taught me the true generosity of his spirit.

All still here.

The same sort of thing happens with the people who shared moments in my life with me.

My high school and college friends.

My siblings.

And that's what is really cool about being alive.

Those conversations aren't really missing.

They're right there.

In our hearts and minds.

The love wins out.

The love always wins.

Death shakes us, for sure, but it doesn't have to endure.

Have those conversations.

Forge ahead with all you have experienced...

...leading you on.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie