A Better Reason

What's really funny to me is that every time I get back into my car after my beautiful wife uses it...

...E Street Radio is on.

I usually listen to shows...Howard, Opie & Jim, Jenny McCarthy and Jay Thomas.

So, Bruce was on when I stepped in for a ride.

It was a concert from last month and it was just Bruce on the piano singing a song from 1972...For You.

Ive heard the song about 10,000 times in 44 years and that might be a conservative estimate.

But Bruce was taking his time with it and hitting each word hard.

(Listen to the words).

Remember how I kept you waiting, when it was my turn to be the God.

Is an amazing line...in a relationship.

The expectations of each person.

He is supposed to be the god to her...

...and never gets there.

An exceptional line.

And then the end of the relationship is spelled out this way:

So you left to find a better reason than the one we were living for.

I love words and especially love when someone puts them in the right order.

The Yankees were on and I had my phone set up to listen to it...

...but I kept listening to the words.

What a great couple of sentences those are.

And my mind wandered as the song changed.

I'll go to the Yankees when a bad song comes on. I thought.

And I thought about intellectual property.

Bruce wrote those lines.

I'm sure they took him hours to craft.

That's why they shouldn't just be stolen...by someone...passing it off as their own thought.

Bob Dylan has a line that is kind of similar and makes me think every time I hear it:

We always did feel the same; we just saw it from a different point of view.

I tried to explain it to Kathy one day.

"I could think about that line for hours," I said.

"You're freaking weird," she answered.

Guess we're seeing it from a different point of view.

Listen to the words!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie