Too Many Days Like This

We should be celebrating my Dad's 73rd birthday. He should be here to tell me, "Bah, I don't want you to come over. I'll see you on Christmas Eve."

And when we all showed up anyway...

"Bah, I don't want any presents. Why don't you keep your money?"

And he should have been yelling, "Bah, the kids are ruining the house!"

And asking:

"Are you hungry? Wanna' beer with your old men? How's work?"

And then finally this as we back out of the drive:

I say, "Happy Birthday, Pops."

And he says:

"I love you, buddy."

There are too many days like this one scattered through the year. Days when we wish each other well in the face of pain.

Days when we give that little head shake and shrug.

And children lose parents, and parents lose children, and brothers lose best friends, and husbands lose wives and wives lose husbands... and there would be way more than 308 million hanging around if people didn't head off to a better life when called...

...But sad days suck.

That's all I'm saying.

"Happy birthday, Pops!"

Comments

Cindy Lehnortt said…
I hear you Cliff!

Happy Birthday John.
chris said…
Every year your dad used to call the house to wish my brother a Happy Birthday also as they share the same day. i will have a shot in his honor! Happy Birthday. maybe a ham and cheese too!)
cheers

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie