Just Taking Care of the Family

I love this time of year for the Baseball Winter Meetings as it is the time when the 27-time World Champion Yankees usually stock up for another run at the ring. The problem being that they really haven't done a single thing yet!

Because Boston is trying to buy a World Series!

Of course, that is a ridiculous notion...there is so much money being split up that every team has a chance if they are willing to spend, spend, spend.

Do you know that each club receives a $100 million dollar share every year? The team that saves that money and cries about not being able to compete is the real loser in the derby....

Anyhow...this is a post about being able to take care of the family.

Cliff Lee is the free agent that the Yankees are trying to sign. They offered him a 7-year deal worth about $150 million. He hasn't said yes, yet, because Texas is also trying to get him with a similar deal.

This morning I read that he is having a gut-wrenching time of it because he is worried about his family and what might be best for them.

Kathy would allow me to ply my trade on the sun for that sort of money. As I prepared to leave in the spring she would be loading the car, saying, 'Don't forget the sun block!'

I doubt very much that there would be much in the way of discussion of whether or not the school systems were better in New York or on the sun.

She wouldn't care if I had to live in a box, an ice block, or a high-rise apartment.

"Just get the hell out of here. Play your little game. Good luck. Maybe we'll visit."

The false crap about what is better for Cliff Lee's kids - 150 mil in New York or clawing by with 140 mil in Texas...always makes me laugh.

From the time my boys were born it was always in the back of my mind that I should teach them to throw 95 miles per hour with their left hand.

Having met them, I can honestly say, although I love them to death, that there is most likely not a millionaire in the bunch.

I am off to teach a class today...ten hours...50 people...corny jokes...lots of preparation. Then I will get in the car and drive home 3 hours, slop a little pasta while they tell me of their day, and try to rest a little in the snowiest damn city in the country. 72 hours later, I will pull my tired knee out of bed and get back to work, climbing ladders, writing reports, freezing my ass off.

All for a lot less money than will soon be in the ashtray of the Lee family car.

When does that plane leave for the job on the sun?

I can hear Kathy now.

"Get your ass out of here! Take care of your family!"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie