Stop the Fight!

New Year's Eve sort of feels like the one holiday where you simply take stock in your life and either dismiss the passing year as a 'that sucked' or say something really stupid like, 'I am going to miss 2010. Everything went right for me this year.'

I don't even want to look back. Sick of beating myself to death with thoughts of what could have been better.

And I don't want to look forward, either. Tired of the wanting, wanting, wanting element of it all and then looking back and saying, 'that sucked.'

So I'm not doing any of it this year. I'm simply going to try and enjoy life. The hell with understanding it. Hmmmm where'd I hear that before?

So there won't be any:

I'm going to try and drink less, eat less, and lose 15 pounds.

If I do, I do. If I don't, I don't.

I won't be saying:

I'm going to watch less television and read more books.

First off, I have a good balance there. Secondly I may not have a choice as Time Warner is threatening to strip me of the Judge Judy Hour.

I used to say:

I'm going to finish writing one book and get one book published by the end of the year:

My publisher might have other plans, but that was way too freaking ambitious. Stephen King can write a book a month. Slowing that pace way down. Not saying it's over, by any means, but self-imposed deadlines suck.

So, in the lowered expectations mode, what am I wishing for in 2011.

Simple.

Please just a year free of catastrophe and calamity in the family dynamic. Did you ever see a boxer continually pound his beaten opponent as he is drifting toward the canvas?

Although you are watching it to see a good beating, doesn't your heart shift a little to the guy who is slumping into unconsciousness? Aren't you glad when the ref steps in and tells the bully to step to his neutral corner?

That's all I really want to reflect on this year...come on, catastrophe...step to the corner and let's see if the slob can get up.

Comments

Amen Brother! I agree on all fronts...

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie