Too Damn Much Information

So this is a pretty strange story, huh? Speaks to the "intelligence" again.

How does classified information become available because some guy with a blank CD knows a couple of passwords and decides that he wants to fill up the disc and make it available to everyone else?

Aren't there things that the American public doesn't need to know? Would you want to know all of the background information on all of the bad guys who are trying to kill us because we are free and happy and able to move throughout the country with reckless abandon?

I don't know, but this stuff scares the hell out of me. The freedom that Americans enjoy shouldn't be jeopardized by a 21-year-old kid. Perhaps we are becoming too dependant upon technology and are too tied into one another.

At work today we were discussing the old days of construction when deals were made on a handshake and a call home to say that we had to work late didn't result in a tweet, a Facebook message, and four straight calls to the cellphone. There isn't any way to get lost at the bar these days.

More importantly, people are passing information through handheld devices and snap-decisions are being made as we walk down the street.

This was a funky week for me as I had to make changes for the book before it went to the printer. I approved the final changes on the Droid after reading through the corrected text.

Are you kidding me? I wrote my first book on a typewriter and sent the initial manuscript to the publisher with white-out all over my arms.

And the industry has changed so much since that first effort. Now there are deals made, services offered, contracts signed...all on the run.

People post gripes and complaints on the Internet and it is impossible to clean-up your reputation because once something is posted it is there forever, and it may not even be a legitimate bitch. I say this because my publisher has run into some trouble in this regard, but when a true professional relationship is formed, the good press isn't reported.

I will report it here. Sterlinghouse did an excellent job of the production of my book...and I thank them for their professionalism.

Which brings me back to the leaks and the information-sharing and dumping.

What the hell is true or not true? Do we need to know that the leader of Iran has a mistress with long, dark hair? Is any of it a threat to our national security?

To be sure, the person responsible must be punished to the full extent of the law, but be honest...does the story really matter much to you?

We already have way too damn much information as it is.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie