The Highway's Jammed With Broken Heroes...

...On a last chance power drive.

Spent a long time thinking about John Lennon this week. It's been thirty years since he was gunned down after signing an autograph for a loser-son-of-a-bitch-that-robbed-the-world-of-fifty-years-of-great-music.

I remember writing a term paper about him when I was in college. The theme of my paper was the strengths of Lennon as a great writer. I got an A. He was terrific.

And I thought of Bruce and how much he's meant to me. And tonight I sort of got caught in a line of traffic and thought of the same thing I always think of...the highway's jammed with broken heroes on a last chance power drive....

And I passed by the guy to the left and the guy to the right and I saw the lost look on the faces of the tired drivers and the broken heroes line buzzed through my head like a bumblebee.

And John Lennon's Imagine and Lennon's Watching the Wheels, my two favorite Lennon efforts, and I know them all, went ricocheting around my brain.

And what a tragedy that is, right?

Lennon would have been 70 this year. He died at 40. Think of that. One of the Beatles died at freaking 40!

I am the Walrus played on my I-Pod, followed by a Day in the Life (which would be a hit if released tomorrow)and what a freaking shame.

What a freaking shame.

Way too young! At no apparent reason. Way before he was done giving to the world.

And why?

Who the hell knows why.

Who the hell knows why? I know of someone even better then Lennon who's life was cut short...

...So, I was stuck in traffic this evening. I was too tired. I stepped into the house and my wife smiled.

"Why are you late?" she asked.

Could I say that it was because John Lennon died?

That probably wouldn't work.

I got depressed listening to music?

That wouldn't work, either.

"The highway was jammed with broken heroes," I said.

"On a last chance power drive?" Kathy asked.

You gotta' love my wife, huh?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie