Peace on Earth...Can It Be?

We all remember the old video of David Bowie and Bing Crosby singing Little Drummer Boy, don't we?

I used to love to watch MTV around this time of year because they played it a lot, and while it was an odd pairing, those two sang the hell out of that song. I hear Will Ferell is singing it this year, making a spoof of the video, but I haven't seen it yet. I heard he was respectful of the singing.

Anyway, for some reason, nice and early this morning the song popped into my head with Bowie and Bing's voices and all. They harmonized over the Peace on Earth...can it be? part. Beautiful mesh of voices. Sort of makes your heart wince.

I was about 18 years old when that video came out. For one reason or another, most likely ignorance, Peace on Earth through the singing of a song seemed sort of possible.

With all of the information beating us to death, that line seems sort of silly, huh?

Peace on Earth?

Can it be?

From a 46-year old's point of view it would seem that it is not only NOT possible, it is sort of laughable. How long have the wars stretched out before us? The United States is still in two of them...can't get out, so I'm told...making progress, but no real end in sight.

That may not even be the peace that Bing and Bowie were singing about. Peace in our neighborhoods. Peace between races. Peace between liberals and conservatives, for crying out loud!

Still, its a beautiful song, and it makes you sort of long for such a wonderful sentiment.

Perhaps I will try and find a copy of the original version and listen to it as if I were still just a kid.

When Bowie sings, 'Can it Be?' I will go back to pretending that the world is a nice, calm place.

In the question asked by the legendary Rodney King, I will wonder, 'Can't we all just get along?'

Like a beauty contestant, I will continue to pine for world peace.

I just don't think its possible anymore.

Comments

deafjeff said…
But steak is good. Really, really good!
Cliff Fazzolari said…
Pops, you're a beauty.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie