Cry, Cry, Cry!

Did you see the interview with the new speaker of the house on 6o Minutes last night?

I only caught a couple of minutes of it, but man, he was crying like a baby. Every time the interviewer asked him a question, he cried. The interviewer told him that his wife was proud of him, and he blubbered.

He cried so hard, so many times, that I took to laughing at him.

Lord knows that there are certainly legitimate reasons to cry, and some people cry all the time. It snows, they cry. It rains, big tears...it's sunny, why not blubber?

But there is nothing more awkward than seeing someone cry when you don't think they should be crying.

'Your wife is very proud of you,' wasn't reason enough for me. He cried. I laughed.

Still, human emotions on display and me acting like a dope doesn't shine much of a light on me, does it?

I joined Kathy in the living room last week as she was watching the end of a television show about someone who was suffering a high-end drama. Kathy was crying.

"What is the matter with you?" I asked.

"It's sad," she said. "She's dying."

"They're actors in a play," I reminded. "She will be on a cell phone ad next week."

"Get out of here."

And the poor boys. I went to the Frank Barone school of manners when it comes to their crying. You remember Frank from Everybody Loves Raymond, right?

"What's the matter, Nancy?" I'll ask.

"Leave 'em alone!" Kathy says.

And I don't know why it is. Certainly I have cried many times over the last couple of years and I'm not ashamed. But man Dad wasn't big on seeing his sons cry and therefore, I am struck by laughing fits when I see crying that isn't warranted.

All right, off to work in the blustery cold. Just had to mention it.

I wish him luck. Can't see him making it through a full session.

Every time the guy cried. I guffawed.

And so close to Christmas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie