What It Is

I never liked the song Sitting on the Dock of the Bay because the singer sounded like he was whining about the fact that he couldn't get it done and was just whiling the time away.

I've always also hated the saying that It is what it is.

I know a couple of people who say it all the time and it seems like a cop-out.

I go to Syracuse twice a month and spend time with a particular client. I've known most of their personnel for the past 13 years...which is quite some time.

One of my favorite people in their organization is an ironworker who is always upbeat. He always seems genuinely enthused to see me, and we share a laugh or two. During my last visit, he opened up a little to tell me that he was sorry about the loss of my bro.

"I lost two brothers in six months time," he said. "Car accident and then a heart attack."

Like I've said, this is a guy who is always upbeat.

I imagined his down moments.

We were awkward about the subject but he said the words.

It is what it is.

"I hate that," I said.

He waited a long time, but sort of offered a grin that was worth everything in the world. Sort of a soul-affirming type of grin.

"That's why we need to enjoy it. People always asked me if I was close to my brothers. Man, how could I not be?????? But everyone pays. Everyone pays to play."

Everyone pays to play.

"I think of my brothers every day."

It is what it is.

"I pray for their families."

Doesn't get much more profound.

"I stay happy to make them proud."

What gets more profound about it is the ability to make it work.

And whistle through the heartache.

"That's what they'd want me to do."

And still be an uplifting sort of guy.

"A day at a time," he said. "Sort of bullshit, but dedicated to them."

That's an American hero.

Right?

He's a hero to me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty