Back to the 80's

Believe it or not, we watched Fast Times at Ridgemont High yesterday, and it was really sort of weird, you know?

First off to see Sean Penn as Spicoly is real strange - no matter what you think of him - he's a great actor.

Secondly, the movie was not nearly as funny as I thought it was. In fact, it was kind of beat. I remember seeing it when I was a little older than Jake and a little younger than Matt. There wasn't anything overly offensive in it I suppose, but the boys were in an out anyway.

Mostly they wanted to laugh at the way the characters dressed in the 80's, or the way they talked, or the big hair, or the huge cell phones, or the lame looking cars.

"Did you wear shorts that short?" Jake asked me as they showed a character jumping into the pool.

"The shorter the better," I said.

"My God, how those shorts would look on you now," he said.

"Just watch the movie."

And I remember the days and the turned up collars, and the music Cheap Trick, Blue Oyster Cult, Jackson Browne...

I'd take all of it over the music my boys are listening to today...that's for sure.

Like I said, the movie seemed lame in comparison to how I remember it. Perhaps its better to leave those movies alone and recall them as fondly as I used to.

"Animal House was a good one," Kathy said later.

But I wonder. Perhaps I should just leave it alone.

I'll go see Twilight Eclipse, or whatever the hell is going on now.

Sometimes its best not to go back in time.

Particularly when you'd look like sausage stuffed into a casing if you tried to put on the short shorts again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie