Thanks For Asking

The leg is better, thanks for asking.

A hundred and one things to think about while forcing myself back into a routine for the week.

Woke up this morning to a broken washing machine. I wanted to help, I really did.

One of the spoiled rotten dog that lives here - there are two of them - wouldn't eat her breakfast until I took her for a ride. I poured a cup of coffee, opened the paper, and she laid at my feet, crying, until I put her in the car and having nowhere to go, drove her around the block. Five minutes of looking out the window and she was in a much better place. I was able to return to the paper and she ate her breakfast.

And there's a lesson there if I think hard enough.

We are all programmed to do certain things and we do them as a course of routine. I had to disobey my doctors orders and go to work on three of the five days he told me to be off - and I'm also cutting the rehab short this week - and going about my business because that's what I'm programmed to do. And I only need five minutes here and there to re-energize and feel alive again.

It's a shame that the things that make you feel most alive are the very things that tear you down, you know?

Think of all the things we become addicted to - tobacco, sex, booze, drugs, gambling - is it a sickness or a weakness?

If addiction were an indiscriminate disease like cancer, wouldn't we be addicted to all sorts of stuff?

Like broccoli, or liver and onions, or weeding the garden, or doing the laundry?

We choose our addictions because they allows us that five minutes to breath, and regroup so that we can get back to the normal routine.

So the air cast is off. The repairman will be called for the washing machine, and all addictions have been put away for the moment.

The dog is sleeping peacefully.

Thanks for asking.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie