Best Laid Plans

Started yesterday as I've started most of my adult life - shot from a cannon. I decided to do the 'suck it up' thing and headed for a couple of work sites, pretending that I was walking just fine.

And I did make it through okay. A couple of twinges here and there, but no climbing, so I was not much worse for the wear. I planned a trip to the docs, and a little ice, and back at it on Thursday morning.

Except the doc put me in an air cast for a week. My stilted walking was doing damage to other areas of the foot. The plan being that he'd immobilize it for a week, and see how it responds.

Those were his plans....

...and they became mine.

And it occurred to me that therein lies the frustration in my life. Not doing things the way I wanted to do them. Not having things work out the way that I had it planned.

Which leads me to believe that it is best not to plan ahead. We can't control the major things in life, right?

Now some may argue that not stretching before activity may have had something to do with the leg injury. Others may believe that regular exercise and a strong diet can lead to better results. I am of the firm belief that running in the first place - at the breast cancer fundraiser is behind it - but either way.

The air cast makes me feel like doing an impression of Herman Munster. I used to be able to do his laugh real well, but haven't seen the show in awhile. Perhaps they can put that on instead of Rhoda.

So I'm going through paperwork, schedules, and fielding phone calls. I'm resisting all temptations to rip off the boot and stutter-step my way through life.

I'm listening to the plans that someone else drew up for me, and I'm trying real hard not to fret, or worry.

It's just a few days. The Yankees are making due without Pettite for a month. He'll be back and better than ever, right?

What's the lesson here?

I suppose that maybe you should just ease up on that to-do list.

Someone can just take the legs right out from under you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie