Trade Deadline

The height of my geekdom begins and ends with baseball. You all know that I'm a fan of the 27-Time Defending World Champion New York Yankees and each year the deadline hits with a feeling that it is Christmas.

Teams that are in baseball to see of they can lead the league in saving money do the usual salary dump this time of year, and my boys in the front office are ready to pounce.

This year, so far, it has netted Lance Berkman and Austin Kearns. Half hour to go and still waiting to unwrap packages.

When I was a kid I'd spend hours and hours on the floor working with my baseball cards. We had cards from 1960 on, and I would read the backs, shuffle the cards, make trades in my head, and read the backs some more. I could tell you stats that would make your head spin.

Ron Guidry was 25 and 3 in 1978. He threw 9 shutouts and 15 complete games. His ERA was 1.74. Of course, he won the Cy Young.

I lost my partner in it all 16 months ago. At the deadline two years ago he left a message on my cell phone to let me know the Yanks got Pudge and the Red Sox traded Manny.

My new partner in it, Sam, is running up and down the stairs right now telling me that there are three teams in on getting Manny away from the Dodgers.

"This is so cool!" he just yelled out.

My wife, of course, is shaking her head.

Last night during the game Sam quizzed me on the number of RBI's Henry Aaron has, Derek Jeter's date of birth, the pitching stats of Jamie Moyer and the seven teams he's played for.

"How do you remember it all?" Sam asked.

I have a feeling that he will as well.

Gotta' go. Twenty minutes left!

Yanks need an 8th inning guy.

Joba has been pooping the bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie