Are You Going to the Game?

Stopped at Wegman's this morning, just about three hours before Bills-Pats was to start. There was a young girl in line in front of me - she was in a Bills Jersey and had the logo painted on each of her cheeks.

"Going to the game?" I asked.

"Uh, no," she laughed. "I was thinking of renting a movie and sitting around in this garb."

Behind me were two young guys with a case of beer. They too wore jerseys and were all fired up.

"I can't believe I've had three beers already," one of them said.

It dawned on me that they were me about twenty years ago.

"Are you going to the game?" the girl asked me.

I had a cart filled with bread, eggs, milk, lunch meat and dog bones. I was just trying to chip in around the house.

"Nah, I'm too old," I said. "That's a young person's game."

"Yeah, but you'll watch it, right?"

I do still watch the games despite my obvious disdain with the direction of the franchise. It's impossible not to be a part of something that is such a big part of the community, and I did feel a bit of regret, remembering all of the great times I had rooting for the Bills back in the day.

"I'll probably nap," I said.

The girl looked at me as if I had a horn growing out of the center of my head.

"You are old," she said.

Maybe so, maybe so, but I was warm, and the nap was good, and the pasta was great.

Comments

Larry L said…
my kind of Sunday and the Bills are one step closer to a good draft pick.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie