Order the Good Wine

A few months ago I got my ticket for the Bruce concert for tomorrow night. Of course, my brothers, my sister, my sister-in-law, and a couple of close friends also grabbed tickets and began to count the days down to the event.

As the concert date got closer we worked on formalizing our plans. Of course pasta is on the menu as it is a Sunday and Sundays were made for sauce.

Yet as the day drew nearer a few more things weighed heavily on my mind. The event will most certainly be a cause to shed some tears as we feel the void in the time and space that was occupied by our remarkable friend and brother.

When Bruce hits the stage, once more it will be about more than what is in front of us. It will be about what we shared and lost. It will be about what we love and hold dear. It will be about living, laughing and loving. Bruce has that way of bringing that full circle.

And it's not that I'm putting too much thought into all of this - it is about as guaranteed as anything in life can be because it is all so circular in our hearts.

Those of us who will share in the day tomorrow understand that it is all connected in an ethereal way that can not be coherently described.

The balance of our lives has certainly been reshaped by what has happened to us over the course of the last year, but we will somehow stand together, and cheer.

We will be cheering even though we know that time waits for none of us. Somewhere out in the distance we will all face the end of our days here, and there will be a profound sadness for what is lost if a life has been lived right.

Yet death is nothing to screw with and once you're gone, there is only one way back and that is in the hearts and minds of those that are still here, pulling the cart.

So tomorrow, I'm celebrating a life - again - and I'm going to do it every day that I have the strength to pull it off.

The only way that someone can still share in an event of this world is to still be connected - to still be the absolute heartbeat of a gathering that no longer has you as an attendant.

There are so many moments in my life when I live as a man of pure caution, always wondering about the impression made, never actually letting loose and just relaxing.

"You need to stop trying to understand life and just enjoy it," Jeff said.

He was right.

Tomorrow I'm ordering the good wine.

Life is too fucking short.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie