Black Friday After a Clear Thanksgiving


Funny how life works but the ringing alarm clock stirred me awake from one of the first sound sleeps that I've had in months. The problem being the freaking clock was set for 4:15 AM and it wasn't my alarm clock!

It was my wife's, but there was also another problem - she wasn't there to silence it having left the house at midnight instead because of all of the deals. How that clock didn't end up sailing down the street is tough to figure.

Yet I was all right with it because even though I was up a little earlier than anticipated, my mood was good, and the photo above kind of tells you why.

The holiday was all about the kids, and family, and togetherness. Of course, about seven pounds of my mother's unbelievable stuffing didn't hurt, but on a year when the holidays were becoming something of a dreaded thought, a light shined through.

My nieces and nephews were all there and while it is a pleasure to see each and every one of them, there was a huge part of me waiting to see Rocco's reaction when he saw me.

My wife was holding him when I walked in the door, but literally 3 seconds after our eyes locked he was in my arms, and all of the dread was absolutely gone.

The hugs were tighter, the laughs were even more pronounced, the food was awesome, and everyone helped clean up. The kids played an extended game of chase each other through the house, and the massive wrestling match seemed to go on all night.

That's what is supposed to happen, right?

So, you see, the ringing alarm clock didn't wind up sailing down the street.

Rocco's big hug saved that clocks life.

Comments

Unknown said…
Your family was in my thoughts and your post made me smile.

Officially - Happy Holidays may this one be special for you and your entire family.

Love,
Y
You forgot the classic moment Cliffy - when Rocco was pushing on your head saying, "Eat like a pig, eat like a pig..." I don't think there was a dry eye in the house after witnessing that.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie