The Lonely Bar Run

I went to college with an ex-marine, Hiram, who could have snapped me in two without much effort. Fortunately we were friends.

Yet for a little while there we were both pursuing the same girl. It was a good thing we were friends because he saw me doing what I call "dancing" with her one night.

Of course, he got the girl.

I was dismayed,but as I've said - we were buddies.

So he grabbed me one night, put me in a semi-headlock and told me that he was sorry I didn't get the girl. He also explained that the best way to handle disappointment is to do a "lonely bar run".

"No friends - no excess drinking - no feeling sorry for yourself. Just sit down, have a couple of beers and concentrate on getting your shit together."

I had forgotten Hiram's advice until late in the day today.

After work, I remembered Hiram, the girl, and the only other time I'd ever done a lonely bar run and I recalled that it had worked.

So I sat down, had a beer and a shot of Jameson's. Actually, I had one for Jeff and one for myself, and in my mind, I told him the Bruce, Clarence and Matsui story.

I didn't go to excess.

I didn't feel sorry for myself.

I did it alone.

Thanks, Hiram. I felt better.

Wonder whatever happened to that girl?

Who cares? Mine is better.

Comments

CorLeone said…
Yes, she is and she dances enough for both of you!
deafjeff said…
We just can't seem to get our times insync. I obviously did't see the post till too late, I'll drink with you.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie