Who's Better Than You?

There was a guy I knew from New York City, Lenny, who lived life as if there were no tomorrow. Every single person he met, he'd make sure they remembered who he was. If he noticed a pretty girl on the street, he'd offer a standing ovation and thank her for just walking by. It was always uncomfortable for the girl, but I imagine they loved the attention.

If you were to do something for him, or say something he thought was particularly inspiring he'd ask the question - "Who's Better Than You?" Sometimes he'd follow it up with the exclamation - "NOBODY!"

It became a catch-phrase of those of us who knew him and I sometimes ask the question of the kids - if you get a Who's Better Than You? - it makes you feel good and I think that's what my buddy had been going for. Unfortunately for him, he ran out of days way too early - running out of tomorrows as a fairly young man. I looked to the sky and gave him a 'Who's Better Than You' last week when I was in New York.

And recently I was watching an episode of Family Guy where Lois told Peter that she loved him and he responded, "Thank you, I've grown quite fond of you also."

I waited a few days to use the line in response to my wife and she looked at me as though she wanted to rip my face off - great line nonetheless.

Yet there is precious little time to tell others how you feel. I've always been a guy who believes that people know if you love them, hate them, or feel indifferent. I'm real confident that the people in my life know full well how much they mean to me. I most likely don't verbalize it enough, but who does?

I've grown fond of a lot of people in my day, but there are certainly too many to list here. So, my idea is to present it to you as my boy Lenny used to - ask yourself the question:

Who's Better Than You?

NOBODY!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie