Mountain Out of a Mole Hill

Anyone see Hillary Clinton go off on that student who mistakenly said President Clinton when talking to our Secretary of State?

Did Hillary's outburst seem a tad out of whack for the tone of the question? Might she be the first woman to ever over-react? Was there just too much drama involved?

Now, I'm treading lightly here. First off, Hillary and Bill are certainly polarizing figures. There was a report that Bill missed his wife's outburst because he was in Las Vegas at the time, being photographed with a travelling party that included other women. Of course, Bill should be completely trusted around other woman now, shouldn't he?

"I didn't see it," Bill said when asked about his wife's outburst.

Oh, he's seen it. Those of us that are married have all seen it from time to time.

Now I must preface this by saying that my wife is a lot less prone to emotional breakdowns than I am, but there may have been a time or two when something minor was overblown into a full-out episode. (I said I was treading lightly).

Yet the thing about it is that we all have moments. Perhaps we're over-tired. Maybe other influences conspire together to cause us to meltdown at a time when a meltdown is not really the best idea. And do you think for even one moment that there may not be ego's involved?

Bill is coming off a trip to North Korea that put him in the news in a much better light than when he was answering questions about Monica. Hillary is coming off a loss to Obama when she thought the presidency was her birthright. She's said all the right things about joining the team as Secretary of State, but is it possible that she could be harbouring a little jealousy?

There is endless speculation, of course, over the health of the Clinton marriage, but I'm telling you, this little outburst shouldn't be a telling sign.

We've all been there. In any relationship we have these little competitions. It's all healthy.

The one meltdown I had that immediately comes to mind was on a golf course where I saw a man in another foursome reach down and take my ball. My brother and brother-in-law watched him pick it up, but since we were in competition, they wouldn't let me just play another ball without penalty. "That sucks," my brother said. "Yeah, tough way to earn a stroke," my brother-in-law answered.

I decided to take matters into my own hands. Angry with the situation, I jumped in the golf cart and raced down the fairway with my golf club raised high like Mel Gibson in Braveheart - I should have been yelling Freedom!

Of course, halfway down the fairway, not knowing who I was chasing, and hearing the laughter behind me, I stopped, took a deep breath and headed back. I took the penalty and never lived it down.

I'm certain that Hillary is now in the same boat. She didn't mean it. She wishes she could take it back. Yet like my golf partners, Bill laughed heartily when he saw the footage, alone in his room in Vegas where he most likely didn't party at all.

Comments

deafjeff said…
Should of got your ball back! That is not a penalty.
Larry L said…
How big was the guy who picked up your ball? :)

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie