Little League Dreams

Caught the Little League World Series game between California and Georgia last night. There was so much running through my mind as I watched.

First off - it was good baseball. I started watching figuring I should pick a team to root for and I decided that since California was up 5-1 that I'd root for Georgia to come back - but when they did, I felt so bad for one of the kids on the California team because it looked like he was going to cry, so I started rooting for California to come back. By the end of the game I didn't want either team to lose. For the record California did win with a run in the last of the sixth.

There was a kid on the Georgia team who was 6' tall and weighed 210 lbs - he's 13! I watched him pitch and couldn't imagine standing in the box to try and hit him. He was also pretty awkward as if he still didn't know how to handle being so massive.

I watched the parents cheering for their children as if their very existence hung in the balance, but I saw the pride in one mother's eyes when her son hit a homer. The kids, by the way, pretended to be like the big leaguers and acted as if it wasn't that big a deal.

The announcers were positive at all times as were the coaches who spoke to the kids with mound microphones catching their every word.

I thought back to my own little league experience - we made it to the championship game one year and lost to the Tigers - I played for the Mets - I swear I can tell you the starting lineup for our team and I was just 12! I can also tell you that I failed miserably in the big game and that I cried when it was all over. I still hate some of the guys on that Tigers team.

I still have a few friends who played in that league - one of the girls on the Mets married one of my good friends. Another buddy was about 5'10" and 170 lbs at the age of 11 - I'll never forget how bad my legs shook when I faced him for the first time. He still laughs at me, reminding me that he struck me out fairly easily.

As the game ended, it struck me that the kids playing in the game were being treated by the ESPN cameras, the adults, and their peers as if they had already made it to the big-time.

I don't think there's any harm in showing the games - as I've said, it was wildly entertaining, but as the game concluded I had an ache in my heart for all of the childish things in my life that I've been forced to hide away.

Well, I hide them most of the time.

Comments

John said…
Everyone hated the Tigers!
Larry L said…
I am glad I was on the Mets until I moved!!!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty