Low Expectations

Bought a Mega-Millions ticket today and as I drove my mind wandered about what I'd do with $325 million. Three seconds into the daydream, I cursed myself for wasting the five-spot.

Saw the photo of Rick Pitino in the paper - the latest big shot to be brought down by a sex scandal - I'd read his books, admired his coaching, and thought he was one of the good one's - it was all crap.

Talked to my buddies and boys about the upcoming Bills year - they're all predicting 10 wins and a playoff run. I'm thinking maybe seven wins. I tried to tell my son to root for 7 and be happy with anything over that.

I'm just thinking it's about time I lower my expectations. Lower expectations leads to less heartache. Life is essentially a struggle - why fight it. Expect nothing and be happy when it comes.

It's certainly been the year of the letdown. A couple of weeks ago I was golfing with a few buddies - we play with a mulligan available per round. We stepped up at a hole that is about 115 yards away.

"Wouldn't it be awesome if one of us got a hole in one," I said.

I teed off and sent it over the green and into the woods beyond. "Lucky I saved my mulligan," I said. I was still thinking I could put it close enough to the hole and get that one lucky bounce I've been waiting for forever.

My second shot screamed into the trees about 110 yards right of the green.

"What're you thinking now?" my buddy Jeff asked.
"Shut-the-hell-up," I sweetly answered.

Not sure if it was Pitino's defiant look, or the Yankees loss this afternoon, or the crap traffic jam I was stuck in after believing I'd arrive at a reasonable time, but I made a realization today.

Everything is shit.

If it's less than shit just think how happy I'll be.

Now if I can only win that $325 million.

Come on, give it to me, please.

I'm sick of waving my fist at the sky.

I'll even write an apology blog if you'll just see it my way for once.

Comments

Larry L said…
Sorry but I am buying one ticket for the Mega millions and that money is all mine.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty