Nighty-Night

I'm an admittedly lousy sleeper. Conditions must be just about perfect for me to drift off to sleep, including knowing how the Yanks did, knowing that everyone is home and in bed, and knowing that I can't hear noises from other areas of the house.

Each night I have to read a bit, and have a bottle of water at the ready. There can't be any source of light coming into the room and, my dogs have to be comfortable in the same room as me.

Then, if there isn't too much on my plate from the day's activities, I can go to sleep. I'm well aware that any noise will wake me at anytime during the rest period.

My wife, on the other hand, could lay down in the middle of the road with a sandbag as a pillow and drift off to sleep.

Michael Jackson, it appears, had an even more difficult time sleeping than me and now his death is being ruled a homicide. His doctor admits to having administered propofol, an anesthetic used by hospitals, as well as sedatives midazolam and lorazepam along with valium.

Ever hear of warm milk?

The human body needs sleep. The prevailing thought is that eight hours of rest is essential and while there are people who can function on five or six hours a night, sooner or later you need to make amends.

I love to sleep. I'm just not very good at it, but I do catch up most weeks by getting a nappy-nap as we used to call it when the kids were young.

Yet not being able to sleep on a consistent basis should tell you that something else is askew. I'll pop a Tylenol PM every once in awhile when a good night's sleep is crucial, but I'd never even do two of those as the bottle suggests.

Can you imagine going under anesthesia every time you needed rest? That's absolute lunacy, isn't it?

And now it's homicide?

I find it difficult to believe that Jackson wasn't directing the doctor to put him under in such a manner. Yet the doc is left holding the bag and will certainly be vilified in the months to come.

Strange man - strange death. Heath Ledger did the same sort of thing, didn't he?

I suppose the lesson learned is that sleep will come eventually and that perhaps if you're trying too hard for the perfect slumber, you might just find the eternal one.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie