Camp Clifford

There's an excitement in the air around my house as Camp Clifford races through it's second full month before school begins again. The camp is open from around six AM through 11 PM and breakfast, lunch and a couple of dinners are served.

The game systems are fired up all day long. You can ride your bike if you feel that ambitious and there are swimming trips, movies, arcade trips, basketball camps, baseball games and special events planned, on a whim and without regard.

And that's exactly how it should be. I remember how much fun summer could be. There were endless games played out with my brothers and sisters. There were moments when we couldn't get along and my mother would have to separate and conquer. I see Kathy employing many of the tricks.

There were also tasks handed out by my father and I try my best to break up the carnival by asking my boys to help out a little, but they don't seem to work quite as hard as my brothers, sisters and I did.

Still, the mood is definitely upbeat around Camp Clifford. Yesterday I came home to see Jake fighting away at Halo, Matt pretending the Bills were good on his PlayStation and Sam playing quarterback for the Georgia Bulldogs - the name 'Fazzolari' was right there on the screen.

"How's Fazzolari playing?" I asked.
"That's me, I'm awesome, of course," he said.

In the middle of it all Kathy works hard behind the scenes to keep it running smoothly. Dinner, laundry, yard work, keeping the dishes full of sink in control - it's all a battle.

And I think back through all of the days of work, aggravation, happiness, sadness, despair - and I remember all the baseball games played out in the big backyard on Shirley Road. Camp Fuzzy's hasn't been up and running for awhile, but I distinctly remember that I am the all-time home run king in hitting the tennis ball into the pool.

Yeah, yeah, I know I changed the rules to fit my swing, and I understand that people were afraid to argue with me because I was such a poor sport as a kid - but they're my camp memories - I can remember as I see fit.

Looking back they are memories that are worth more than gold - and that's all we offer here at Camp Clifford - just make those dreams come true.

Comments

deafjeff said…
Where do I sign up? Camp Clifford sounds like the greatest summer camp ever! Is there any golf outings? I would also like to request a field trip to a local watering hole, for fishing of course.
Larry L said…
Great memories, they even have the right two football teams.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty