Feeling A Little Like Clark Griswold

On the road with the family and I can certainly sympathize with Chevy Chase as he chased Rusty and the rest of the family on their way to Wally World. We can certainly detail a couple of real missteps as we work our way through New Jersey and Philadelphia. I just haven't seen Christie Brinkley in the Corvette yet.

Still these are the days that will remain in the memory banks of the children for years to come and as a parent there are plenty of moments when I try to remain calm and patient as they giggle their way through another day.

Another interesting aspect of the trip is that I am trying hard to see a couple of my college buddies on this trip and knowing that they've lived their lives in the right way, and having the chance to visit with their children certainly does my heart good. These are guys I knew nearly thirty years ago, and we've stayed in contact, and it's been real easy to fall back into some of the same old conversations.

I often wonder about why some people drift in and out of your life while others stay around forever. As I type this blog I hear the boys arguing about what television station they're going to watch. I think about the days ahead when they chase their dreams, make special friends, and get their payback from their own kids.

Yet back to the real substance of the story. Did you ever put three kids in the back of the car and drive for hours and hours? Not sure it's something that I'd recommend. You know why we all laugh at the television kid who asks "Are we there yet?" - I'll tell you why - because they really ask it about every thirty miles.

And then there's the - "I gotta' pee," cry that echoes through the care every twenty minutes or so.

"You don't have to pee again," I said to Sam.
"Are you in charge of my bladder too?" he asked.

We stopped. They went pee and then chugged down a couple of sodas. Repeat above conversation.

My wife worked the brake from the passenger seat letting me know every time I got within three car lengths of the car in front of me.

"I'm hungry. I'm thirsty. I gotta' pee."

The days seem long, but there's a special look on their faces when they see something new. I know the pride Clark Griswold felt when he showed his family the world's biggest ball of yarn.

Well I'm off - they're singing the Free Credit Report.com song.

Our neighbors are going to toss us the hell out.

Comments

Larry L said…
After moving to Georgia, we have made many of these trips and yes, I have good memories from the back seat as well as the front seat.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie