Shadow, My Shadow, My Lovely Shadow

Growing up we always had dogs in the house. Thinking back on it, I remember periods of my childhood based on which dogs were roaming the backyard on Shirley Road.

I was just ten years old when one of our boxer's, Ricky II, hit the floor in my room in the middle of the night and did not survive the heart attack. Sometimes when I close my eyes I can still feel the pain of that night.

Yet there have been so many happy memories and one that stands out is the way my mother would sing to our dogs, often repeating their names over and over as she made up songs.

Unfortunately, my children have started to publicize that I do the same thing with my two dogs.

Melky Cabrera how's your underwear-ah? is a personal favorite.

Shadow basically has one song - Shadow, my shadow, my lovely Shadow

I sing it to her all the time. She seems to enjoy my wonderful voice.

Perhaps the lesson learned when Ricky hit the floor all those years ago is that time is short and it's best to love those that you love. As Bruce sang - Let's Let Love Give What it Gives, (Listen to the words).

That above adage certainly applies to pets and to humans in our life. I'm not sure how everyone would take it if I made up and sang songs to them using their names though, so that's why I do it strictly with the dogs.

So why so much about the dogs? Well, Shadow was sick for a couple of days - she didn't move a lot, her eyes looked drawn, and she didn't even wag her tail when I sang to her. She's over ten years old, so the doubts began to creep in, and going through my work day, I found that I was calling home to see if she was okay.

Tragedy seems to have been averted as rice and hamburger has cleared up what was ailing her, but she is now at my feet and has emitted a noxious gas that is threatening the completion of this blog.

In fact, I can't even sing to her as I hold my nose and usher her to the backyard.

Melkinator, Melkinator, Melkinator, Melk! is ready to go too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie