Okay, I Lied

It's not all right that the Yankees missed the playoffs. I will be out-of-touch in October, as I weep nightly and try to forget about what might have been. I was left at the altar, all dressed-up in a tux, with a bunch of people behind me, seeing how I'd react as the thankless bitch(es) decided not to show up.

It's not like I didn't put in the time. I was there each night as Cano swung at the first pitch and hit worthless ground balls to second. I explained that the young pitching would be just fine and that running out to sign high-priced guys was a mistake. I gave A-Rod the benefit of the doubt. Even that weird Madonna story was explained away.

Posada and Matsui hurt all year? Nothing but a minor distraction. I'Rod was old and horrible. Molina can't hit his way out of a paper bag.

Still the baseball gods would find a way to get it done - I said. The Rays couldn't possibly hold on, and Manny left Boston - surely they would fold.

Wrong! Wrong! Wrong! Wrong!

I gave up my Yankee hardhat in mid-August - I was sick of being asked all the questions - it was as if my bride was out on the town - two months before the wedding with every guy she could find. She'd still show up - I argued - and life will be great.

Now my birthday month - the month when Jeter homered to start the 2000 series against the Mets. The month when Bernie would go nuclear and smash every pitch over every wall. Ah, there was Paul O'Neill, Wade Boggs, Mariano, Posada - all of the glory days to consider. There would be no great fold - listen everyone - they love me - they won't leave me standing here.

"Congregation gathers down by the riverside. Preacher stands with a Bible, groom stands waiting for his bride. Congregation gone. The sun slips behind a weeping willow tree. Groom stands alone as the river rushes by so effortlessly. He's wondering where can his baby be, still at the end of every hard earned day people find some reason to believe."

Of course that is Bruce closing out this post. Yet there isn't a reason to believe - the Yankees are moving into new digs next year which only means that they will be all set to seduce me again in April. I should just forget about them. I should jump feet-first onto the Bills bandwagon.

It's just so hard letting go. I won't be watching the playoffs this year. Instead, I may write a long letter to Hank and Hal Steinbrenner, begging to get them back. Next year, I'll be better. I'll cheer harder. I'll spend even more money.

Just don't ever leave me like this again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie