I Could Be Wrong

My wife and I were having a quick conversation yesterday about how much I aggravate her. It's one of our favorite subjects, but yesterday it centered around opinions. "You have a lot of opinions," she said.

"And that's bad?"

"Well, you can be a bit closed-minded. Why are you always right?"

Perhaps my wife has a point. Then again, maybe not. "Because I am," I said. "Who ever had a passionate opinion about something and ended it with - I'm probably wrong about that."

Do we ever feel like we are truly wrong about an issue? Certainly there is plenty out there to get you confused, but opinions are based, somewhat on fact, somewhat on traditional beliefs, and every once in a while on a whim. As my good friend Mellencamp once said - "You have to stand for something, or you'll fall for anything."

I just hate when people read something and accept it as fact. "But I read it on the Internet."

Hell, anyone can put anything on the Internet and just pass it around as fact. New data shows me the world is flat and the moon is really made of cheese - there - it's on the Internet - prove me wrong.

Yet I have been wrong from time-to-time. "I'm not closed-minded," I argued.

"Tell me once when you've discussed something with someone and said - 'You know, I might be mistaken,'" my wife tried.

"I can't think of a specific example," I said.

"Because there isn't one," she answered.

All right then - let me think. I'll find something!
I believed there weren't weapons of mass destruction - oops, right there.
I thought that gas would hit $4 a gallon - right again.
I tell my kids and everyone that will listen that Bruce is the god of music - still right.
There's no better meal than pasta - 4 for 4.
The Yankees would win the World Series in '08! - I was wrong! I was wrong! I was wrong!

I never liked wishy-washy people - I have some good buddies who are convinced that I'm dead wrong on a lot of issues - right, Rosey? Yet it has never once hurt our friendship. I want my children to be strong-willed, convinced of their stand, and eager to fight for what they believe in - no matter who thinks they're an idiot - even if it's their loving wife or life-long pal.

"We should all be thankful that the intelligence just drips off of you," my wife said.

Finally we found some common ground.
Or was she being sarcastic?
I think she was serious.
I could be wrong.

Comments

deafjeff said…
You still think Obama is going to win right?
John said…
You're an idiot. Also, there isn't a place for teaching religious figures as historical figures in public schools. Wrong again dude. Love ya!

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty