High Finance

I don't know much about stocks and bonds and markets crashing and financial ruin. In fact, I'm fairly incompetent when it comes to running even my own budget. Money in and money out is the norm in this day and age - and I'm real fearful of it getting a lot worse as the kids prepare for college (despite the fact that my 15-year-old still believes that the family will live for generations on his basketball skills).

Yet what is going on in the financial world can't be good, can it?

Perhaps there is someone out there who can explain that it is just the market correcting itself, or as W stated - there are adjustments that need to be made. (I have a sneaking suspicion that he doesn't quite understand it either).

My grandfather talked of painting outhouses for food during the Great Depression. I'm not much of a painter - in fact - I'm not allowed to open a paint can in our house because I'm so sloppy with the paint. Not sure where I'd fit in during a Depression - perhaps sleeping under a bridge next to my dogs.

I don't need the character build of a Great Depression. I'm a little concerned that all the money that isn't securely in my wallet will be stolen by someone who needs it to keep their own bank open. 401K? Social Security? I'm not counting on that either. Something tells me that I'm going to need to work until six guys carry me out for the final ride.

Still I need to be concerned here, right? Lehman Brothers? AIG? These are big-ass companies shutting it down.

Yesterday, Howard Stern talked about something he said in 2000 - "This administration will bankrupt the country."

God, I pray that he was wrong - like I said, I don't know much about it. Someone enlighten me by saying there's a silver lining.

Comments

deafjeff said…
All you need to know is that you're not retiring. If you are lucky you'll just go after getting a birdie on the 18th, and winning lunch.

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Hot & Dusty