I Even Liked His Salad Dressing

Everyone liked Paul Newman, right? Most of the movies he was in were great - classics nearly all of them. He never seemed to be in trouble, and like me, the women thought he was unbelievably handsome. (Okay, maybe I stretched our connection a bit).

Yet it was one quote attributed to Newman that kind of stuck in my mind - and it was in response to someone asking him how he could be faithful in his marriage all of those years. "I have steak at home," he said, "Why would I go out for a hamburger?"

I'm sure that it wasn't Camelot every day for him and his wife. How can marriage or any relationship be so poetic? We all have faults. We all have bad days, but the line speaks volumes about the kind of man that he was and how he stayed true and loyal. That just seems refreshing to me in this day and age. Good behavior is looked on in amazement, while bad behavior is somehow swept under the rug. I think I'll go out and rent The Hustler.

I caught a lot of the debate and what was said by each candidate. I even watched the retrospective on their young lives. It is amazing to me that the media is able to dig up each and every item in regard to a candidate. I wonder why anyone at all would want to even consider making their lives so wide open. Yet the debates are certainly healthy to the process and it makes sense that people would watch and try to learn.

The thing is - I was listening to a debate coach who grades such contests. He said that when he polls people who watched the debates - they very rarely remember anything either of the candidates say. He said that many people just judge the winner and the loser of a debate by their body language or mannerisms. He also said that most of the people in the audience don't even know their own views on certain topics. They just observe and see who sweats the question the most.

Perhaps you should have to pass a test to earn your vote. Obviously there are no clear-cut answers, but maybe people should be forced to put in their time before they are allowed to go to the polls. After all, we seriously bungled the last two presidential elections, now, didn't we?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie