Fall Back

The clouds hung low today and the temperature was down about ten or fifteen degrees. I am fighting a cold because one of my boys blows his nose and leaves the tissues all around the house. The garden is about shot, and the grass won't grow quite so fast now. It gets dark early and the big question is no longer about what we're doing, but what's on the tube. (People trying to fit through holes doesn't cut it).

Usually the Yankees get me through this time of year, but we all know how that's working out. So it looks as if I will be hibernating early this year.

About 20 years ago I lived in California through the fall months. Even though I came to tolerate the daily sunshine, there was something missing. It didn't rain the entire 8 months I lived in San Jose. I could have named the clouds and made them my friends because they never seemed to move. I played basketball outside in December in shorts. Try that here.

Yet I was missing something. I love the change of seasons and the comfort that it brings. The kids returning to school was the first signal. The Bills playing their first game was point number two. Now if we only had a pennant race.

The end of summer brings with it more time to relax, sit on the couch and hang out with the family. Unfortunately the state of tv these days is piss poor, but there are always Family Guy reruns. (The funniest show on tv, by the way).

So after this weekend the golf clubs go away for at least 6 months. The family gathers around and looks for new ways to aggravate one another, and unless we can teach a 15-year old how to discard of tissues, we'll kick this cold back and forth until the spring.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie