Talking People Off the Ledge

On the day after a Bills game I am greeted differently as I make the rounds - based, of course, on whether they’ve won or lost.

There are a whole lot of people around here who have been anticipating a Super Bowl win - especially the last 3 years or so.

Hasn’t happened.

It’s been a very difficult month for hopes and expectations. Yesterday, the team did what the fans wanted - they fired their offensive coordinator.

It didn’t calm the Bills Mafia.

And it’s kind of troubling how miserable so many people get about it.

“They need to let Allen be Allen. He needs to run wild and go fast.”

“He needs to get his childhood girlfriend back.”

“He needs to stop making commercials.”

“He’s fighting with Diggs. They hate each other now.”

And on and on.

I ran into a guy hanging drywall - he’d gone to the game (never misses one). 

He had figured it all out.

“The games are rigged and Vegas controls all of it. A guy like Allen has millions and millions. He doesn’t care. If the season ends early he’ll be out golfing and will film commercials all summer. And the Bills are getting a new stadium. They don’t care.”

(I told you there is rage out there).

“Will you renew your season tickets?” I asked.

“What the hell else am I going to do? It costs me a lot of money I don’t have but I usually talk myself into buying their crap again. I wish they cared.”

I felt for the guy, but he was in his mid-20’s. I mentioned that they still had a young, good quarterback and that maybe he should keep the faith.

“You’re old,” he said. “I’m not being mean, but when you were my age did you think they’d win it all?”

“Of course,” I said. “I was insane about it in the 90’s.”

“And now?”

“I don’t care,” I said.

“Shit,” he said.

“What?”

“I’m going to grow up to be a miserable old dude like everyone who has ever rooted for these assholes.”

I laughed.

“Learn to live with what you can’t rise above,” I said.

I headed away.

“Go Bills,” he yelled.

What else can you do?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie