Frank & Dean & Rickles

For my parents Sinatra was their Springsteen.

We were exposed to Frank & Dean singing and we also watched all of their movies.

Dean was the better actor, but Frank was the voice. And then, Don Rickles showed up with them. Sammy Davis Jr. was also there.

Just great entertainers.

Well, last night, I was flipping through one of the social media apps and there was Frank, on Johnny Carson.

I spent a half an hour watching as Frank sang two songs, and bantered with Johnny.

Halfway through, Rickles showed up.

Laughter ensued.

All three men were about my age at the time of the interview, and I wondered if my Mom and Dad tuned in that night as it was the first time Sinatra appeared on the show in 14 years.

Then I felt a pang of heartache because they’re all gone and I couldn’t call Dad to talk about it.

Time waits for no one.

Not even the legends.

Yet, there I was, thoroughly entertained in watching it.

I imagine that it will be quite some time before people forget how great Sinatra and Dino and Rickles and Carson were.

Then I thought of my kids…

…maybe 30 or 40 years down the line…

…seeing Bruce or Mick and thinking…

…I kind of like them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie