Fast Car

Read that Tracy Chapman won an award for the song ‘Fast Car’ some 35 years after she released it.

Someone named Luke Combs re-did the song and also hit number one.

I’m happy about it, and have listened to the Combs version, but kind of don’t understand how he made a hit out of it.

When Chapman sang it you FELT the pain of a young girl trying to save her Dad, who drinks too much and has given up on life. 

The verse where Chapman sings, “Your arm felt nice wrapped my shoulder, and I had a feeling that I  belonged.”

Powerful!

I’m a big Tracy Chapman fan - I wish she’d put out more music - I have all her songs on my phone.

In fact, back in the late 80’s I was in a bar with my brother, John, and I wanted him to hear the record. I played the entire record on the bar jukebox.

The bartender unplugged it!

“Hey! She’s an awesome writer!” I yelled.

“We aren’t listening to the words!” He answered.

But I have, for years.

For the uninitiated, download:

Fast Car

Sub city 

Baby Can I Hold You.

I Would Sing For You.

All are simply wonderful.

And, Tracy, if you’re out there..

…I need new music!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie