Mommy & Celebrating!

Haven’t heard the Mariah Carey Christmas song yet, but the season is definitely underway.

I saw a Facebook photo of someone’s Thanksgiving meal (BTW - Turkey, mashed potatoes and stuffing don’t photograph well)…

…but there was a tree up already.

We don’t even think about putting the tree up until at least December 15 and there’s no way it will see 2024.

Am I missing out?

I don’t put a single light on the house either. Not even a wreath.

Now it’s not that I don’t enjoy Christmas - I do - we just haven’t had a normal one in years.

Last year a snowstorm canceled everything.

The year before, Kathy was down as she had a hip replaced.

In 2020, Covid changed everything.

So, perhaps, I don’t want to jinx anything by getting the jump on the next holiday while I’m still digesting the food from this one.

I broached the subject of gift for the boys.

“They want cash.”

Not a whole lot goes into wrapping cash.

And our extended family has grown older. There aren’t a lot of kids running around right now although the next generation is gearing up for their run.

So, I’m left to thinking about past Christmas celebrations. The kids all in their spots, taking turns unwrapping gifts.

My Mom and my Mother-in-Law spoiling my children beyond belief…

…and Mom wrapping gifts for whatever pet we had at the time and writing on the card:

“To Ricky, Love Santa.”

I asked Mom about that.

“Didn’t you feel a little crazy addressing a gift card to the dog and pretending that Santa Claus brought it?”

She laughed.

“I didn’t want anyone to feel left out!”

“He had zero idea who Santa was,” I said.

She laughed again.

“It was always so much fun.”

So, Christmas 2023 is less than 30 days away…

…and today is my Mom’s birthday!

Plenty of reasons to celebrate!

Happy Birthday, Mom!

I’m going to look around for the tree!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie