Why God? Why?

Was watching a movie today.

Not sure what it was - we’ve been watching a lot of television during the hip rehab.

Anyway, one of the characters faced an absolute tragedy, and in the moment of utter despair the character cried:

“Why would God do this to me?”

That’s the kind of statement that always drives me a little crazy.

Another one that gets my goat is:

“I spoke to God about it and He helped me decide.”

Now, I have a very extensive, long, complicated relationship with faith.

I spent years serving mass, reading the readings, studying the Bible, and getting hammered by nuns with ping-pong paddles, yardsticks and a disgusting bar of brown soap.

I’ve prayed. I’ve fallen asleep while saying the rosary, and I’ve wondered - from time to time - why God appears to have a doll of me that he’s stabbing with needles…

…but the character in the movie was wailing at God because someone drove a car into her car and killed her friend.

“God didn’t do it!” I yelled. “The other dude driving the other car did it.”

It seems like God is kinda’ like QB 1 - God gets credit for the wins and blame for the losses…

…but it is a tad out of hand.

A free agent baseball player talked about how God helped him make the decision on where to play this upcoming year.

The $50 million he got wasn’t a factor?

And I often say, “Why does God only directly speak to whackos?”

The thing that truly ‘frosts my ass’ (as my old college buddy used to say), is when people fit religion into the narrative they need to live their life free of guilt.

“Jesus wasn’t a passive, peace-lover,” one guy wearing a red hat explained. “Jesus believed in personal freedoms, and like Trump, He dated a hooker.

Think I’m making it up?

There’s a clip of it on social media.

I laughed out loud!

It would sort of be comical if it weren’t so dangerous.

Jon Stewart absolutely obliterated a senator on his show who was campaigning on doing away with all possible restrictions on gun ownership while saying that abortion laws needed to be tightened to protect the children, in the name of God - who he absolutely adores.

“What about the children who get shot in the face?” Stewart asked.

At the end of the day, we all look into the question of God with a unique set of eyes, but jamming God into the narrative as to why things are or aren’t working is ridiculous.

God didn’t do it to punish you.

He isn’t talking to you.

Of course, I could be wrong…

…on all of it…

…it actually slipped my mind that Jesus was all for dating hookers.

Or that he hands out free agent advice to baseball players. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie