Today!

Been 7 years since the E-Street Band was here.

Finally, tonight’s the night.

And I’ve mentioned that it’s a special one for me as I’m going with my nephew and this will be his first Bruce show.

It’s kind of like my Dad trying to explain how big New York City was before I got there.

Or what it’s like to be a Dad.

You can imagine those things but until they’re right there before you, you kind of temper your expectations.

And I’m not concerned about him coming away disappointed. I’ve never left a Springsteen show and thought:

“That wasn’t spectacular.”

We’ll leave tired.

Our backs will hurt.

Our ears will be ringing.

The smiles will seem permanent.

And I’ve done some mental gymnastics to figure out my favorite show ever. 

I’ve ranked them from 5 to 1.

5). Washington  - 2012 - Carrie called me and said she had a ticket. I flew down and spent the night with my sister - a beautiful night, a long show and a great venue. Turned around and flew home the next day.

4). Buffalo - 1984 - The first one - I covered it pretty well in earlier posts, but that was the night when music changed. Forever.

3). Mountain View California - 1987 - Bruce had been laying low - and then he made his only appearance of 1987 in the town where I was living! Me and my brother Jim scalped tickets.

Neil Young, Crosby Stills & Nash, Robin Williams, Glenn Frey and Tom Petty were all there. When Petty was playing people were calling for Bruce.

Someone told TP - “They aren’t booing you, they’re chanting Bruuuuuucccceee.” 

Petty said: “What’s the difference?”

Bruce came on around 10:00 and was supposed to play an acoustic 45-minute set. It was close to 1:00 before he left the stage.

2). Fenway Park - 2014 - a friend of mine (a Red Sux fan) tried for years to get me to go to Fenway. I explained that I wouldn’t be caught dead there and sent him a photo of me pretending to pee on the exterior walls of the place.

A month later he sent me an email entitled:

“You’re going to Fenway!”

He attached two tickets.

Bruce against the green monster. He played Frankie and everyone in the crowd lit up the night sky with their telephone lights.

Didn’t even pay for the tickets! The deal I made was that I would return to Fenway with my buddy and we did - a month later - and the Red Sux got bitch-slapped 10-1 by the Indians.

A great couple of trips to Boston!

1). Darien Lake - 2003 - We rented a limo. Me and Kathy had seats that were about 15 rows from the stage - a whole bunch of others were in the cheap seats.

One by one, Kathy went and retrieved everyone else. We had about 8 people in a 2-place spot and no one around us complained.

I can close my eyes and see Bruce and Clarence mugging during about a 20-minute playing of ‘Rosalita’. Someone tossed a hat on stage and Bruce put it on and strutted around.

I watched with loved ones.

Tough one to top!

(I didn’t include Broadway - we were 10’ away - and that was ridiculously genius - not fair to include it - unless Bruce swings by Camp Clifford that one can’t be beat).

There were so many more too. Albany, alone, a month after the worst day of my life in 2009 might have saved me.

Saratoga Springs with the Seger Seasions Band

Shea’s on the solo tour.

Taking my boys to see him.

Tonight’s the night!

Another great memory coming!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie