Be Where Your Feet Are

I have a job that can never be completed. 

I could visit sites from now until the end of time and I’d still finish the day thinking:

“There’s more I can do.”

And so, a fair amount of anxiety can creep in from time to time and I hate the feeling that I should be doing something else somewhere else.

I was listening to a baseball interview with former Royals player and manager, Clint Hurdle. He was talking about being around his family and he threw out a phrase:

“I’ve learned to be where my feet are.”

It’s a phrase that I’ve been thinking about since.

Be present!

Don’t let your mind drift to things you did in the past or what you need to do in the future.

Be right where you are at any given moment.

It’s helped me calm myself a bit over the last couple of days…

…when I’ve felt the anxiety of where I should be I’ve simply thought:

“Where are your feet right now?”

And I’ve addressed the work that needed to be done in the moment, instead of being overwhelmed by what I’m not doing.

I do think it’s an important lesson and perhaps one that’s come too late in life.

We miss a whole lot of life, in the moment, when our mind drifts away - ahead or behind - of where our feet are planted.

Stay right there.

Enjoy the moment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Suits

My Buddy, Dave

Mom & Ollie